In the past year, my family has experienced great loss. While grief and the heaviness of losing loved ones has broken our hearts, it has also made us appreciate each other and the time we have together more. When my cousin Emily suggested a girls/cousins trip to NYC where she lives, I jumped at the opportunity! I had only been to the Big Apple once before and that was four years ago, so I was happy to return. Below is a bit of our glitzy and glamorous weekend trip to NYC! I hope this post inspires you to 1) plan a cousins trip, 2) visit NYC and 3) enter my JORD Watch Giveaway :).
Enter my giveaway with JORD Wood Watches here! The details are at the bottom of this post.
Weekend Trip to NYC
- 3:10 PM This was the original time that our flight was supposed to take off. Welp, that didn’t happen! After a few (hour) delays and then almost missing our flight (thanks to loud restaurant music), we finally took off around 6:45 PM. While CLE is a great airport, my sister, Bekah, and I decided to fly out of Columbus (CMH) because it was cheaper. I would definitely fly CMH again too…clean airport, cheap parking & only a 2 hour drive!
Bekah: Leah, in your blog post you should say, “My flight may be delayed but my JORD watch is always on time.” Here ya go, Clever Beks! Also, I must say that I really do love my JORD wood watch. I got the Dark Sandalwood & Slate FRANKIE 35 series. It came in an elegant box (wood, of course) complete with a tiny drawer for extra links and finishing oil for care and conditioning. I was impressed to say the least!
- 8:30 PM After opting to take an Uber from LaGuardia (LGA) to Emily’s apartment in the West Village, we hugged our beautiful “baby” cousins, Emily and Calla, and headed off to a late dinner at Miss Lily’s (great music, rum punch and jerk chicken!). Even though both Emmy & Calla are 26, they will always be our baby cousins :).
- 10:00 AM Of course, we had to start our morning with bagels! I’m pretty sure you can’t go wrong with any bagel stand in NYC. We then took the subway to check out a few sights, including Times Square, Emily’s super cool Viacom office, Rockefeller Center and more!
- 1:00 PM The first time I visited Central Park four years ago, it was mid-April and there was still a chill in the air. Let me tell you, this experience was totally different! Central Park is magical on a warm, sunny July Saturday. Couples picnicking, children frolicking, and everyone basically cherishing this beautiful and special green sanctuary. We had a lovely time walking around, stopping for cute photo opps and renting a rowboat from The Loeb Boathouse. I admittedly am very easily star-struck and couldn’t stop gushing about all the movie-stars that had graced these same boats!
- 2:30 PM We grabbed a late lunch of street hot dogs and made our way to the NY Public Library which is GORGEOUS! I am a bit of a library nerd, so I really appreciated this stop. After this, we were pooped and headed back to Em’s apartment to relax, shower and get ready for the evening. (Side note: We made a quick stop to the most adorable gummy candy store called Sockerbit. Go there if you have a sweet tooth!)
- 8:00 PM We decided to eat dinner at Murray’s Cheese Bar (get the mac & cheese…you won’t regret it!) and laughed until our bellies ached. We ended our evening at a CLUB! WHAT?! When in NYC…also, no pictures from that experience.
- 11:00 AM We got a late start but enjoyed a WONDERFUL and I mean WONDERFUL brunch at Palma. Be sure to eat outside on their patio and you’ll question if you’re in Manhattan or a small town in Europe. Fresh flowers surround you, handsome waiters serve you and the food is delicious. Let’s go now?!
- 1:00 PM As we gushed about our lovely brunch (& the cute waiters), we made our way to the Brooklyn Bridge. Even though we were pretty stuffed, we took an ice-cream break at Soft Swerve. They have really unique flavors, such as ube and matcha!
- 5:00 PM We said our goodbyes to Merida who needed to catch her plane home and then Emily, Bekah and I grabbed our last NYC dinner together at Cotenna. I highly recommend this cozy Italian restaurant! (Get the lasagna.) After stuffing ourselves full of red wine and pasta, we waddled down to the water and walked along the West Side Highway. Not wanting the night or weekend to end, Emily, Bekah and I grabbed one last glass of vino at the City Winery.
“If you want to change the world, go home and love your family.” -Mother Teresa
JORD Wood Watches and I have teamed up to give away one $100 gift card towards a watch of your choice! Just for entering you will receive a $25 credit to their website.
Anyone can enter to win by clicking here! You have until August 27 at 11:59 PM to enter.