As many of you know, I recently returned from visiting Greece. The islands entranced me with their white-washed buildings, bright blue domes and magenta bougainvillea. While I thoroughly enjoyed my European adventure, it’s always good to come home to Cleveland. This past weekend, I decided to take a quick island getaway…CLE style. I want to share my Put-In-Bay day trip itinerary with you so that you can do the same sometime this summer!
Put-In-Bay Day Trip Itinerary
9:15 AM Leave Lakewood, OH & drive to Port Clinton, OH.
- It takes a little over an hour to get from point A to point B. There is parking right outside the Jet Express ferry. We paid $12 for almost a full day.
11:00 AM Depart Port Clinton via the Jet Express & head to Put-In-Bay.
- Be sure to check out the ferry schedule and plan your day accordingly! Don’t forget to bring sunscreen, your bathing suit and an extra set of clothes. There are relatively nice public restrooms in downtown Put-In-Bay where you can shower & change if necessary.
11:30 AM Arrive at South Bass & commence island time, drinks & feels! Rent bikes (or golf carts) at Island Bike Rental which is located right by the ferry drop off zone. Both are great modes of transportation to see all the island has to offer.
12:30 PM Eat a delicious lunch at the Boardwalk Upper Deck.
- While the seafood looked delicious, I opted for the Boardwalk Upper Deck burger which was 🙌🏼👌🏼. Fried egg, bacon, cheese…sooo good!
2:00 PM Bike around the island a bit and gaze at all the adorable houses.
- The Victorian-style cottages were my favorite.
- They are located across the street from another and each offer fun activities for all ages.
4:00 PM Rent kayaks at Put-In-Bay Watercraft Rentals and enjoy beautiful Lake Erie.
- I always feel at peace when I’m out on the water and was so thankful for this time to relax and just bask in the sun. The workers here even let me store my purse behind the counter so that it would get wet in the kayak. Thanks!
5:00 PM Head back to downtown Put-In-Bay to stop in a few shops and grab a delicious grapefruit mojito at Mojito Bay.
6:15 PM Drop off bikes and walk to the Jet Express to go home.
- The 6:30 PM ferry was actually full, so we ended up buying tickets for the 8 PM. This led to an impromptu dinner at The Keys Restaurant and we had a wonderful water-side table with a great view of Perry’s Victory & International Peace Memorial. No worries, we were on island time.
As the Jet Express says, “SEIZE THE DAYTRIP!” I came back to Lakewood feeling happy and relaxed…a perfect island getaway not too far from home!
Disclosure: I received an invite from the Jet Express to visit Put-In-Bay, including complimentary Jet Express tickets and the Kayaks & Caves adventure deal. My opinions are my own.