Oh me, oh my…how is it November? The fall always seems to fly by and before you know it, Christmas is here. If you are already starting to fret about gift-giving, here are nine creative gift ideas for travel lovers in your life. I have either asked for the below items myself or they are currently on my own wish list (hint, hint). Happy shopping and gifting!
Pin this to save for later!
Nine Creative Gift Ideas for Travel Lovers
1. Gift a globe: I have my grandfather’s globe in my living room, as well as a thrifted globe from the Cleveland Flea in my office. Just looking at them make me happy and inspire me to travel more! Our world is big and there are so many places to see. An alternative would be a map. My Aunt Sharon recently bought me a map from PushPinTravelMaps.com and I have loved putting the push pins where I’ve been and where I dream to go.
2. Plan a nearby weekend road-trip: Some people love to plan out their trips (me!), while others despise the detail work. For the past two years, I’ve given this gift to my parents and they’ve really enjoyed it! (Here’s a post about their 2017 trip to Fallingwater, PA.) It’s extra special if you can pay for one or two of the trip details (i.e. fancy meal, day excursion, etc.).
3. Invest in a sturdy umbrella: It can really be a downer when you’re exploring a new city and the rain just.wont.quit. Do you know what’s even worse? Not having an umbrella in said showers. Your friend will think of you whenever their head is dry.
Me by the infamous gum wall in Seattle…it was VERY rainy here
4. Comfy walking shoes: Yes, yes. It’s super fun to look cute in your photos but any experienced traveler will know that you NEED comfortable walking shoes. While I’ve never bought Tieks, these have great reviews and are cute at the same time. (This is a high/expensive version of this gift-giving idea.) A solid, dark-colored tennis shoe is also a gift that your friend will use over and over again. In all seriousness, I love my $10 tan knock-off Keds from Target.
5. Big bags, little bags…gimme all the bags: If you realllly like your wanderlust friend, gift them a leather travel hand bag. (I have never bought anything from this CLE-based company, but always droll over their items.) Whenever I see people with fancy leather travel bags or luggage, I’m immediately jealous and think, “Wow, they fancy.” If you only kinda like your friend (jokes), get them a classic black backpack.
6. Leggings: Airplanes are either extremely freezing or stuffy and warm. More times than not, I’m getting goosebumps on planes. In order to stay comfortable, I like to wear leggings on planes. High version? Lululemon’s always impress. Low version? Fabletics.
7. Sweater/cape/scarf: In addition to the leggings, I almost always have on an over-sized sweater or large scarf while traveling. Buy the softest one you can find and your amiga will thank you.
8. Quick dry towels: While this is probably most needed during the summer months, a quick dry towel is a wonderful gift. I took one with me before I went to Greece and used it every time we went to the beach.
9. Luxury travel-sized toiletries: I usually just put my full-sized bathroom items into clear plastic 3 oz containers, but it’s such a treat to get the upgraded travel-sized items of toiletries I normally wouldn’t buy the full version of.
I hope the above gift ideas for travel lovers helped ease your shopping anxiety and gave you some inspiration for this holiday season. If you’re feeling extra creative and generous, put together a travel-themed basket with a few of the above ideas and you’ll have one cheery pal this holiday season.