A little over a year ago, I started By Travel & Error with a goal of having a space to write about lessons learned, experiences shared and stories created while wandering around our messy, yet beautiful world. It’s been a lot of fun documenting my trips, creating various lifestyle series, working with brands, discovering the world of blogging and forming friendships with other bloggers! Below are four lessons that I’ve learned in my first year of blogging that I wanted to share with you. If you are currently a blogger or perhaps you are aspiring to be one, this post is for you!
Four Lessons Learned in My First Year of Blogging
1. Remember the reason why you started your blog. People read and follow your blog because they want to hear from you. Remember to stay true to your voice and opinions. You do you!
2. Chase the light! Photography is so important, especially in the world of social media. While you can obviously edit your photos, it’s better to shoot pictures in good lighting. Early morning or during sunset are both 👌🏼 times to do this.
3. Don’t get bogged down with comparing yourself to others or writing in a way that will cater towards brands. There are so many successful bloggers out there whose full-time job is blogging. For me, that’s not true. It’s a fun hobby but it’s not my job. I remind myself of this constantly to keep my priorities in check!
4. Make local connections. I still consider myself a newbie to the blogosphere so it’s been very beneficial to have other bloggers to ask questions to and learn from. I’m super excited to be hosting a local CLE-based bloggers meet-up next Saturday, July 22nd! If you are interested in attending, please email me at Leah@ByTravelandError.com.
I hope that these four points are helpful to all you new or aspiring bloggers…as well as good reminders to all you pro-bloggers! A big thank you to my readers who have followed along with me this past year and urged me to keep writing. Your words of encouragement are helpful and inspiring to me to continue to grow and expand this new-found hobby that I love. Lastly, I wanted to celebrate my first year blogiversary with a giveaway! I’ve partnered up with Karen from The Print Annex to give one lucky winner some really beautiful prints. Whoever wins, I’m jealous!
GIVEAWAY with The Print Annex (valued over $50!)
- Two 11 x 14 Prints: World Map & This Kitchen Is For Dancing (valued at $24)…a great thing about Karen’s shop is that a lot of her prints are buy one, get one!
- Three 8 x 10 Prints: Cactus Love, There’s No Place Like Home & Chop It Like It’s Hot (valued at $20)
- One 5 x 7 Print: You, Me & Coffee (valued at $15)
How To Enter
- Like my Instagram post & tell me in the comments section what your favorite print is. If you are a blogger, I’d also love to hear a lesson you’ve learned!
- Follow me (@ByTravelandError) and (@the.printannex).
- OPTIONAL EXTRA ENTRIES: Spread the word! Tag friends who are aspiring or current bloggers (or perhaps someone who would also just love these beautiful prints) for extra entries. There’s no limit, so tag away! (Separate comment for each tag please.)
You have until Sunday, July 16 at midnight EST to enter! The winner will be announced early next week.