As you may have heard via my social media, I am headed to Cancun/Riviera Maya to relax and unwind with three of my girlfriends for a spring getaway. I’ll be sharing more about this in later posts, including a full resort review and what you need to know before you book your own all-inclusive Mexico trip. To say I’m excited is an understatement! In order to look and feel my best, I wanted to share a few ideas on how to prep for a spring getaway. If you’re planning an upcoming vacation, read on to be inspired and prepared for your own trip.
Pin this to save for later!
Disclosure: This post was sponsored by Discover Pinecrest. All opinions are 100% my own.
How to Prep for a Spring Getaway
Idea #1: Detox.
Yep, winter has gotten the best of me. While I’ve done a few hot yoga classes, I’ve definitely spent more time binging Downton Abbey. Thinking of getting into a bathing suit is scary at this point, so a bit of detoxing is in order.
I’ve increased my intake of fruits and veggies through smoothies for breakfast, big salads for lunch and trying not to eat out a ton. I recently took a trip to Pinecrest, the new outdoor shopping mall in Orange Village, OH, and stocked up on healthy foods at Restore Cold Pressed and Whole Foods. A belly full of nutritious eats always makes me feel good inside and out.
Organic dragon fruit bowl from Restore Cold Pressed
These Lara Bar flavors sounded so good to me, so I bought two for plane snacks.
Pinecrest has many workout options as well, including Citizen Yoga, Club Pilates, and Orangetheory Fitness. I don’t know about you, but a good sweat session also helps me feel 100%! Speaking of…have you ever tried infrared saunas?
During my visit to Pinecrest, I indulged in j. Bellezza’s 30 minute sauna session. According to their website, “Sweating is one of the body’s safest and most natural ways to heal and maintain good health. And that’s why every Sunlighten detox sauna is specifically designed to promote a deep, healthy and natural detoxifying sweat.” My 30 minute sess helped me detox while also providing relaxation through chromotherapy (light therapy) and soothing music. Read more about infrared sauna health benefits here.
I did this once before Thanksgiving at j. Bellezza and really enjoyed it. Also, I sweat so much during my session, I felt like I had worked out…but I didn’t. YAAAAS!
j. Bellezza offers a ton of all-natural skin and hair-care products that will help you look and feel your best (inside & out)!
Idea #2: Treat yo’self to a little TLC.
Everyone knows getting ready is half the fun! Prior to your trip, show some extra attention to your hair, skin and nails. During my visit to Pinecrest, I did just that!
- Get a manicure and pedicure…aka no more winter feet. Woodhouse Day Spa recently was included in Cleveland Magazine’s 20 Best Northeast Ohio Spas article. As soon as I entered in the spa, I understood why! As I slid into my fluffy white robe and sipped on a flute of mimosa, I realized I had entered heaven on earth!
The owner, Dawn, has left no corner untouched by her thoughtfulness. The bathroom/locker room includes two large and luxurious showers, amazing (& complimentary) beauty products, and every surface was pristine.
While there are many different options for manicures and pedicures here, I experienced the warm agave nectar mani/pedi. It was AMAZING! It included aromatherapy, a warm towel and an arm/leg massage complete with agave drizzled over my body. This is no in-and-out experience.
- Revitalize your skin with a facial. The bitterly cold weather wrecks havoc on my already flaky, dry winter skin. Problem meet Solution. Woodhouse Day Spa offers a variety of facials and skincare options that will have your face vacation-ready. I indulged in the discovery facial during my visit to Pinecrest which included aromatherapy, a scalp, neck and facial massage, extraction, steaming and so much more! I have to say that this was my favorite part of my spa experience.
Come early to rest and relax in the quiet room. No cell phones allowed, please.
All of the heart eyes for this tub! While I didn’t experience this, there is an organic seaweed leaf wrap that helps the body detox offered at Woodhouse Day Spa. See more here.
- Chop off those dead ends with a hair cut. A trip to your hair dresser sometimes feels magical, doesn’t it?! You come in looking scraggly and greasy and leave looking fresh, bouncy and confident. Need I say more?
- Melt your stress away with a massage. Yes, yes, I know…people usually wait to do this until they are at their destination, but start your break from the everyday with a pre-trip massage! Woodhouse Day Spa offers many different massage options.
Vichy shower experience – I had no idea what this was when I first saw it. Read more about it here.
- Tan a few times – errr, I mean use self- tanner.
Idea #3: Buy a new outfit you feel confident in.
There’s something extra special about buying a vacation outfit. Since I’m headed to warmer temperatures, I wanted to find a cute statement piece that was casual and comfortable. I headed to Laura of Pembroke while at Pinecrest to check out their spring arrivals. Their sales associates gave me helpful suggestions and advised me on up and coming fashion trends. You might also consider buying a new bathing suit because there is nothing worse than a too tight (or too loose) swimmy!
I ended up buying this shirt because it reminded me of salsa dancing and the dancing emoji!
I also got the espadrilles on the far left. They are super comfortable!
Laura of Pembroke has the cutest clothes and home decor items. There is something for every price range and age!
Idea #4: Start a list of items to pack.
I think I may be one of the odd few that enjoys packing. Regardless of your packing love (or hate), it’s always helpful to create a packing list. This ensures that you won’t over pack or forget some necessary items. While I’ve never been to an all-inclusive, I’ve learned that below are items you might forget to bring but are necessary:
- Imodium (ehh, hoping I won’t need this one!)
- Ibuprofen (I can see how never-ending drinks may lead to this…)
- Sun screen (Hello, I’m pale. I’ve heard it’s important to pack a few different levels. Check and check.)
- Snacks (For the flight and perhaps long shuttle ride to/fro the airport.)
- Aloe Vera (Praying I won’t need this either.)
- Sunglasses and Sun hat (I’m PUMPED I get to wear my big sunhat I brought to go to Greece two years ago again :).
I LOVE this stuff. It’s a perfect multi-purpose toiletry that can be used as shampoo, body wash and shaving cream.
In flight sugar attack cure
Idea #5: Get ahead at work.
Booooo. While I don’t enjoy including this in my list of ideas for how to prep for a spring getaway, this may be the most helpful suggestion of all! I hate, Hate, HATE coming back to stress at work and while some of it is unavoidable, it always makes me feel calmer to leave knowing I’m ahead.
No matter where you’re headed for your vacation, I hope you’ll find a few of these ideas valuable as your prep for your spring getaway!