This past weekend, I was invited to try the Go Ape Treetop Adventure course at Mill Stream Run Reservation in Cleveland, OH. While I excited to zip line and do something new in CLE, I was definitely feeling apprehensive about the heights! I overcame my fears and decided to live life adventurously by swinging through the fall foliage in our beautiful Cleveland Metroparks. Read about my experience at the Go Ape Treetop Adventure course below.
Go Ape Treetop Adventure course: Things To Know Before You Go
After booking my spot in advance online, I received via email a thorough list of items to know before you go. A few key tips included:
- Arrive 15 minutes early to check-in. You have to sign a waiver! For those in the Cleveland area, the parking lot is the same one as the tobaggan chutes.
- Ensure your clothing/personal items are appropriate and safe for this activity (i.e. no gum chewing, no dangly earrings, no open-toed shoes, pull your hair back in a ponytail, etc.)
- If you’re planning to bring a camera or phone, it needs to be secure on your body. A Go-Pro chest harness is best, but I chose an arm band to bring my phone along.
- Wear tight-fitting, yet comfortable clothes! I wore workout leggings, a pull-over, sneakers, gloves and an ear warmer. (P.S. You WILL fall on your bum in the mulch during your zip-line landings, so wear clothes that you don’t care about getting dirty.)
- Leave your bags and extra belongings in your car. They will hold your keys for you.
Upon arrival, I checked in, signed my waiver and met the rest of my group. It was surprising to see a whole family was going to be traversing the course with me, but I later learned that the minimum age to participate is 10 years old (min height: 4 ft 7 in). (If a ten year old can do it, so can you!) They fit us for our harnesses and gave an in-depth orientation of Go Ape’s safety system. At first, I was a bit overwhelmed as I think my nerves were getting the best of me. After a few practice runs, we headed to site number one. (Did I mention I was the first one in my group to go? Ughhhh…)
Life begins at the end of your comfort zone. -Neale Donald Walsch
After a shaky climb up the ladder, I put my newly learned safety procedures to the test (ALWAYS STAY ATTACHED is burned into my brain) and began obstacle numero uno. I’m not going to lie…I was SHAKING, but I did it! After I conquered the first site, I knew I could do the rest. My friend Molly also came along and I think watching her struggle oddly gave me courage. We were in this together! The mixture of fear, laughter and friendship is a powerful one!
Forcing yourself outside your comfort zone is always a good idea. Not only did I get to experience the beauty of fall from the treetops, but I also proved to myself that I can overcome my fears! I strongly urge you to challenge yourself through the obstacles, crossings, Tarzan swings and zip lines at the Go Ape Treetop Adventure course. It’s a thrilling activity for your family and group of friends, or you might even consider doing this with your co-workers for a team building activity!
Thanks for reading and don’t forget to book your Go Ape Treetop Adventure course here! Use the promo code BTEZIPS18 to receive 15%! (Applies to all Go Ape courses. Expires: 6/3/2018)
Disclosure: I received two complimentary tickets to experience the Go Ape Treetop Adventure course. All opinions are 100% my own.