In the December 2017/January 2018 edition of National Geographic’s magazine, Cleveland was featured on their list entitled “Places You Need to Visit in 2018”. The brief write up featured a few of CLE’s impressive restaurants and trendy neighborhoods. While I agree with everything the article mentioned and am proud that my hometown made it in this prestigious publication, I’d like to delve a little deeper into convincing you to add the Land to your 2018 travels. Take a look at my five reasons why you should visit Cleveland in 2018.
Five Reasons Why You Should Visit Cleveland in 2018
1.Cleveland has a small town feel with big city attractions. Do you want the best of both worlds? We’ve got it here in CLE! From championship-winning sports teams to world-class museums to the second largest performing arts district in the US, this city has many similar luxuries and attractions as much larger metropolises minus the crazy traffic and even scarier prices. You won’t be bored during your visit! Here’s a few suggestions to get you started.
- 2018 Broadway Series at Playhouse Square – I am trying to see Hamilton!
- Western Reserve Historical Society Cleveland Starts Here Exhibit – A great way to brush up on Cleveland’s history.
- Cheer on the Cleveland Cavaliers – See the passion and heart that Clevelanders have for their champs!
2.Clevelanders are Midwest charmers and proud of their hometown. I was recently discussing with a well-traveled friend the big “must-haves” to make a city great. We agreed that the location must have 1.) tasty cuisine 2.) pretty scenery and 3.) kind locals. Cleveland excels in número 3! Destination Cleveland just started a volunteer program where residents can help make visitors feel welcome. Looking for a friendly city? Welcome to CLE.
3.Delicious restaurants that appeal to every taste-bud and price-range are plentiful throughout CLE neighborhoods. In my opinion, one of the most fun parts of visiting a new area is checking out the local food scene. There are always new restaurants and bars popping up, so if you’re indecisive and need some recommendations, below are a few of my favorites:
- Downtown Cleveland: Mabel’s BBQ (if you are a meat-eater)
- Ohio City: SoHo (if you love fried chicken & southern eats)
- Tremont: Barrio (if you want cheap & delicious tacos)
- Little Italy: Corbo’s Bakery (if you have a sweet tooth)
- Cleveland Heights: Lopez (if you need a margarita…and a lobster taco)
- Lakewood: Buckeye Beer Engine (if you’re craving a burger and beer)
4.Cleveland won’t break your bank account. Ain’t nobody got money for that. Errr, well some people do, but if you don’t want to spend a fortune but still have a great time, Cleveland is for you! With a plethora of hotels, restaurants and attractions to choose from, you’re likely to have multiple options in your price range.
5.The natural beauty surrounding Cleveland encourages an outdoor, active lifestyle. No matter what time of year you visit Cleveland (yes, even in the winter), be sure to get outside and explore! The Cleveland Metroparks and the Cuyahoga Valley National Park are two good places to start.
Did I convince you to visit Cleveland in 2018? I hope so. If you don’t trust me though, trust National Geographic.