Welcome to 2019, friend! I hope the first few days of January have treated you well. Do you remember my blog series, Fan Girl Friday? I published this a few years ago and I’m happy to say I’m bringing it back! This is a fun way to introduce you to some of my favorite bloggers. Each one of these ladies has valuable content and their blogs are very fun to read! Many of them are also my friends IRL too :). Today I’m putting the spotlight on the lovely, the talented….Michelle Weigold (Blog: The Great Wide Somewhere)!
Pin this to save for later!
Fan Girl Friday: Michelle, The Great Wide Somewhere
Question 1: Why did you start your blog?
- “I actually first started blogging back in 2005 when it was first starting up. I had a Xanga page if any of you even remember that! I never really stopped, but then in 2015 it occurred to me that I should start blogging for others rather than just for myself. People were always asking me for my travel itineraries and advice, and I love sharing my photos so it all just happened naturally! Once I started taking it seriously and looking into web design and optimization I really felt like I had achieved a lifelong goal!”
Question 2: Why should people follow along with your blogging adventures?
- “I go to a wide variety of places, and I spend tons of time on each blog post so that every one contains very useful and pertinent information. I especially like posting detailed travel itineraries, as that is something I always look for first when I’m planning a new international trip. I think my honesty, detailed itineraries, and solid advice are worth following- plus my photos aren’t so bad either! :)”
Question 3: What’s your biggest blog-related accomplishment to date?
- “Since I work full time as a high-school Spanish teacher and am also a freelance artist, I don’t have nearly as much time to dedicate to my blog as I would like. If I had more time, I know I could achieve more in terms of my blogging goals, but for now- I am still proud! This past summer I had pitched to the Quito Tourism board and was able to work with them by reviewing a boutique hotel and restaurant. I was also excited to partner up with Bookings.com and finally begin earning some money from my blog from hotel booking commissions!”
Question 4: What is your favorite blog post to date?
- “My post popular post is the first one I ever wrote, about the top ten things to do in Valencia, Spain. I think that’s my favorite because it’s my favorite city in the world and the post is really me speaking from the heart about the special places I found during my time there.”
Question 5: What’s the best trip you’ve ever taken?
- “That’s a really tough one! I’ve taken several really epic and fantastic trips. I think however, it’s a tie between my study abroad experience in Costa Rica (8 weeks in paradise!) and my year living abroad in Spain. If I had to pick a shorter trip though, I would say my honeymoon to go on a safari in Tanzania!”