Say amen if you wholeheartedly agree with the following quotes…
Don’t quit your daydream.
Be messy and complicated and afraid and show up anyways. -Glennon Doyle Melton
If we wait until we’re ready, we’ll be waiting for the rest of our lives. -Lemony Snicket
Be brave with your life.
Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and think of what could go right.
…amen! Amen! AMEN! If you’re echoing these same words, then you’ve come to the right spot. “What do you want to be when you grow up?” This is a common question you are asked when you are growing up. In high school, the inquiry changes to, “What do you want your major to be in college? What are you planning to do after high school?” In college, folks love to prod, “Where are you hoping to work or what are you hoping to do after you graduate?” I was one of those people who never really knew how to answer those questions…and still am! While I firmly believe that a person shouldn’t solely be defined by their career, I recognize a majority of your life will be spent working which leads me to my next question.
How many people do you personally know that honestly can say, “I LOVE my job. I currently work at my dream job.”? Hear that sound? Crickets. Today I want to talk a bit about four different steps you can take to chase your dreams & accomplish your goals. In the above examples, I speak about this from a career perspective but the following steps can be used for personal and professional goals. Hoping to go on that dream vacation this year? Wishing to drop a few pounds before summer? Read more to find out how to chase YOUR dreams and accomplish YOUR goals.
(P.S. There’s a giveaway detailed at the end of this post, so be sure to read to the end!)
Four Steps to Chase Your Dreams & Accomplish Your Goals
- Figure out what your passions and dreams actually are. What keeps you up at night? What could you work on for hours and totally forget what time it is? What brings you the most joy? Pursue those things. For many people, this is a no-brainer. For me, this took time and thoughtfulness to brainstorm…and I’m still adding a bit to the list everyday. A few of my passions include: my blog, traveling, spending time with my niece and nephews, helping others in need, and reading. Ty, the creative force behind Live Simply Plush, helped me through this process by providing a free template called, “FOCUSED ON MY PURPOSE Jumpstart Guide”. You can download it here.
- Determine your why. Why are you passionate about those things? This again took me some time to think through but it led me to understand the purpose behind my dreams and goals. For example, I love and am passionate about travel because it reminds me that while the world is so big and filled with many different people and places, everyone really has the same basic needs. To love and be loved. What’s your why?
- Set measurable goals and actually work on them! Remember…your dreams don’t work unless you do. As an example, one of my goals is to go to Greece this summer. My current goals to accomplish before April 1 include: research plane flights and buy the best option, renew my passport, and look up places to stay on each island we’re vising. Here is a great graphic that I found via Pinterest from www.productiveandfree.com that will help you in your goal-setting. Remember to make your goals SMARTER: Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Relevant, Time-Bound, Evaluative & Revisable.
- Invest in your dreams. Do you need to go back to school to get that higher degree? Do you need to start saving $$ each month (instead of splurging at Target–oops!) for that dream vacation you’re hoping to go on this year? Do it to it! Stop making excuses and start today.
She turned her can’ts into cans and dreams into plans.
I hope that these four steps help you to chase your dreams and accomplish your goals, both personally and professionally. Now…I’m excited to share with you about my giveaway in partnership with Ty from Live Simply Plush! Ty’s desire is to uplift and inspire others to walk in joy and live the best versions of their life. She and I have teamed up to giveaway one of her beautiful mugs (pictured below) and a $10 Starbucks gift card! Details on how to enter can be found below.
FOCUSED ON MY PURPOSE Mug || Cermaic Coffee Mug (valued at $15)…plus a $10 Sbux gift card 🙂
How to Enter
- Like the Instagram giveaway post on my page and tell me in the comments section one of your goals for 2017 (career, travel, health, etc.).
- Follow me (@ByTravelandError ) & Ty (@LiveSimplyPlush) on Instagram.
- OPTIONAL EXTRA ENTRY: Download Ty’s FOCUSED ON MY PURPOSE guide here!
You have until Wednesday, March 15th at midnight EST to enter! The winner will be announced on Thursday. Only applicants in the United States are eligible to win.
Thank you again to Ty from Live Simply Plush for running this giveaway in partnership with By Travel & Error!