To you, Linwood Park might not mean too much. To me, it’s a little slice of heaven on earth.
Nestled in Vermilion, OH, whose slogan is “a Small Town on a Great Lake”, lies a respite for me and my family. When I enter through the park gates, a sense of rest, relaxation and peace rushes over me. I feel at home…and isn’t that a great feeling?!
Located on the shores of Lake Erie, Linwood Park is a community filled with quaint white cottages, a beautiful, old church (called the Tabernacle), and a candy store filled with 1 cent sweets. It’s as if you are taking a step back in time to the good ole days. (Read more about the history of the Park here.) This slower pace will allow you to connect with family and friends, finally read that book that’s collecting dust on your nightstand, and witness some of the prettiest sunsets of your summer…dare I say it, life.
My grandparents bought a cottage at Linwood when my dad was in school and still have it to this day. Since birth, I have been spending time “at the beach” and numerous of my fond childhood and adult memories have taken place there. A few of my favorites include:
- 4th of July parades – too many years to count!
- Weddings of both of my sisters at the Tabernacle
- Feast of Jose – a family party where we eat a lot of Mexican food…basically just an excuse to get together, devour tacos and sip margaritas!
- Three years ago, my parents bought a fixer upper cottage at Linwood named the Betty Ruth. They have put their blood, sweat and tears into this place so that our family could enjoy it for years to come…thanks mom & dad!
If you are a Clevelander looking for a relaxing getaway that’s not too far away from home (only about 45 minutes from downtown CLE), I would highly recommend looking into renting a cottage for a week at Linwood. You won’t be disappointed!
Some other highlights of Vermilion include:
- Wineries – There are many within a 10-15 minute drive of the park. My favorite is Vermilion Valley Vineyards.
- Cute shops and delicious restaurants – 10 minute walk to downtown from the park gates
- Water Sports – Besides soaking up some sun at the sandy shores, you can rent kayaks, canoes, paddle-boards and more at various locations in the city.
Question for you: Where’s your “little slice of heaven”?