A part of my #ClevelandBucketList is to visit every suburb in the Cleveland area. Highlighted below is Lakewood, OH, which has been my home for the past six years. Read on to discover where to eat & drink, attractions to see and places to visit in this charming west-side suburb of Cleveland, Ohio.
Screenshot from Google Maps
I have lived in Lakewood for the last six years and have thoroughly enjoyed residing in this diverse and heavily populated suburb that mainly borders Cleveland, Rocky River and Lake Erie. Be sure to notice the number of bars, hair salons and churches you will undoubtedly pass while exploring this west-side CLE suburb.
Find more details about Lakewood, OH at www.onelakewood.com.
Where to Eat & Drink
There are SO many places to choose from in Lakewood. Below is just a sampling of what’s available in this foodie town that favors small-businesses and family-owned restaurants:
- Proper Pig Smokehouse: Casual, delicious BBQ. The pulled pork is my always my first choice.
- Deagan’s Kitchen & Bar: Family friendly, yet leans toward a tad fancier than what you’re probably thinking. I love their creative drink menu and interesting food pairings.
- Cleveland Vegan: I still have never eaten here but it’s always packed, so it must be good!
- Voodoo Tuna: Great sushi but a tad pricey. Go for happy hour and split the boat!
- Humble Wine Bar: Wood-fired pizzas and wine…who can say no to that?
- Nature’s Oasis: Healthy salads, sandwiches and smoothies.
- Souper Market: My go-to lunch destination. Order the chicken paprikash soup.
- Distill Table: This restaurant is attached to a distillery. Think fancy cocktails and a mid-priced menu to match it.
- Molto Bene: Tiny, family-owned Italian restaurant.
- Thai Thai: Small, very casual and AWESOME! This is seriously some of the best Thai food I’ve ever had.
- Salt+: More of a special occasion type of place. $$
- Georgetown: Awesome patio and happy hour!
- Melt Bar & Grilled: Famous for their many different types of grilled cheese sandwiches.
- Barrio: $3 tacos and addictive chorizo queso.
- El Carnicero: Upscale Mexican eats.
- Pier W: Fancy, pricey and delicious seafood. Go for happy hour but expect to stand in line waiting for an open table. I dream of their lobster bisque.
- Harlow’s: Trendy pizza joint.
- Angelo’s Pizza: Take the family out for pizza type of place.
Attractions/Things To Do
- Take a walk at Lakewood Park. This is one of my favorite spots in Lakewood! There is a large paved trail, beautiful views of downtown Cleveland, newly added Solstice Steps (which are perfect for viewing the sunset), a huge playground for kiddos and ample picnic areas.
- Make your own bar crawl! Lakewood has a plethora of drinking holes. Start on the west end of Madison or Detroit and walk east. My recommendations include Buckeye Beer Engine (tons of drink options) and 16-Bit (especially if you love video games).
- Visit Lakewood Library. I typically come here at least once a week, which until recently, I thought was normal. If you’re not a book lover like me, there is also a great selection of magazines, dvds, cds and many free public events. While you do not need to be a Lakewood resident to check out items, you must be a resident of Ohio.
- Grab a cup of joe from one of the many great coffee shops in Lakewood! The ones I visit most frequently include Brewella’s, Blackbird Baking Co and Goodkind.
- Shop at a variety of locally owned stores. In my opinion, below are the don’t miss shops: Cuyahoga Collective for OH apparel, KB Confections for sweets, Salvaged Boutique for home good items, Beat Cycles for all your bike needs, and Lakewood Plant Company for those with a green thumb.
- Indulge in a spa day. Get your nails done at Stella & Shay, relax and unwind with a massage at Sacred Hour and get your hair trimmed at Tease.
- Walk into Breadsmith and inhale the homey smell of fresh baked bread. Buy your favorite carb and then head to Blackbird Bakery to grab a bittersweet mocha. Walk down the hill into the Cleveland Metroparks for a long walk. Don’t forget to stop in front the dog park to admire the pups!