I am a very goal-driven, detail-oriented, and organized (okay, type A) person. While browsing Pinterest, I noticed that a lot of people had “30 under 30” goals to accomplish before they turned thirty years old. I loved this idea and made my own checklist (and one for my roommate too!). Today is my half-birthday so I officially have 6 months left…eek! Read on to see what my 30 under 30 goals are and my progress with each one.
30 Under 30
1. Buy a home. I am currently working with a realtor, pre-approved for a loan and now just waiting to find my dream house! If anyone knows of a small home with lots of natural light on the West-side of Cleveland, please let me know!
2. Start Sunday suppers (1x/month). Whenever I do settle into my new home, I want to start to have big, informal meals with family and friends on Sundays. The idea is for me to make the main dish and anyone else that comes to bring a side or drink. The only rule? No cell phones.
3. Be employed at a job I love and am passionate about. Do you absolutely love your job? I want to talk to you! I know I want to somehow incorporate travel and tourism in my next job, so if you have any contacts for me, please share the love.
4. Try a new gym/workout facility every month. Ugh. I haven’t been very good with this one. In November/December, I tried Pink Lotus Yoga. While the instructors and atmosphere were nice, I never left feeling like I had a good workout. In January/February, I got a 10-pack of classes at Inner Bliss Yoga and fell in love with hot yoga. I would highly recommend this studio but it’s pricey. I haven’t decided where I’ll try in March/April but I’m leaning toward the Movement Factory. If you have any recommendations, please share them in the comments.
5. Take 1 month off of work. Ummm…dreams. If this actually happens, I will be shocked.
6. Plan an around-the-world trip or a U.S. road trip. Again, (sadly), dreams. I may have to push this one off until 31, but I am thinking of driving down highway 1 in CA this August prior to my friend’s wedding in La Jolla.
7. Meet the love of my life. Progress is being made here ;).
8. Try a new recipe (1x/month). I’ve really enjoyed this #30under30 goal. Here’s a few great new recipes I’ve tried over the last few months: Sparkling Apple Brandy Punch, Cranberry Brie Bites, Chai Cookies, Eggplant Parmesan Boats and Moussaka.
9. Go skinny-dipping. How am I almost 30 and never done this?! Answer: I was a very well-behaved teen.
10. Read one book a month. I’ve blown this goal out of the water and have discovered sooo many good reads! What needs to be on my list for the rest of 2018?
- December: The Turquoise Table
- January: Love Does; Looking for Lovely; Let’s All Be Brave; Cold Tangerines; Bittersweet
- February: At Home in the World; Happier at Home; Of Mess & Moxie
- March: Capital Gaines; Daring to Hope
11. Get involved with a small group at church or start a bible study. I decided to start one with some close friends and we are going through “Entrusted” by Beth Moore.
12. Start tithing again. I switched churches and then got into a bad habit of not tithing. I made this automatically come out of my bank account and it feels good to honor God with my income. “For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.” -Matthew 6:21
13. Send birthday cards to my close family & friends. Eek! I’ve been only okay in doing this. Come on, Leah!
14. Have special one-on-one time with Simon, Gus & Aurie. My nephews and niece are so dear to my heart and bring me unlimited amounts of joy. They truly are some of my favorite people in the entire world. In February, I went to the Cleveland Children’s Museum with Gus and we had a blast. I need to get some dates on the calendar for Aurie and Simon but I already know what we’ll be doing. (Simon and I are headed to B. A. Sweetie Candy Store, the biggest candy store in the US, and Aurie and I are going to have a tea party.)
15. Spend an entire day in my PJs. I kind of did this prior to Christmas but it only ended up being an evening in my PJs. Time to schedule a redo…and buy myself some new cute jammies!
16. Spend an entire weekend without my phone. I haven’t done this yet but I know it will be hard.
17. Start a new tradition. I haven’t quite figured out what I want to do with this. I originally thought a Galentines Day brunch but that has come and gone. (insert sigh)
18. Start a collection. I decided to collect all white items for my hutch. I already sort of did this, but this makes it official.
19. Buy a Jeep (if my car dies). Stay strong, Pontiac Vibe, stay strong. If not, I’ll be learning the Jeep wave.
20. Do something outrageously kind for someone else. I feel like I can’t tell you what this is or it doesn’t seem as kind, so you’ll have to just believe me on this one.
21. Plant a garden. I’m kinda waiting on moving into a house for this one. If not, I’ll at least plant some herbs in potted plants this summer.
22. Go on a trip by myself. Do work trips count? If yes, I’ve already done a few this year. I really do want to purposely plan one for myself though.
23. Learn how to use my camera well. I have a α5000 E-mount Camera with APS-C Sensor and want to become better with the settings and such.
24. Take salsa dancing lessons. This has been on my list forever! I just need to find lessons that jive with my schedule and commit.
25. Get to know my neighbors. (Hangs head in shame.) Still working on this one…
26. Try to ski. I’m pretty sure I’ve missed the boat on this one for my 29th year of life, but hey, there’s always next year.