In my mind, Grand Rapids has never been associated with being a “cool” city. Chicago? Yes. NYC? For sure. Cleveland? 100%. Grand Rapids? Ehhh…maybe? Well, my mind was blown when I recently got to explore this Midwest Charmer! Spend 24 hours in Grand Rapids and tell me if you agree.
Pin this to save for later!
24 Hours in Grand Rapids, MI
- Head to the Downtown Market Grand Rapids first thing in the AM to experience foodie heaven. This local indoor market has everything you need – a trendy coffee shop, multiple different food vendors, a lovely second floor greenhouse and more! The vendors I bought from and loved included: Sweetie-licious Bake Shoppe (order the Cheery Cherry Lemon Bomb cookie), Rák Thai (get the passion fruit bubble tea with mango popping bobas and spicy drunken noodles), and Tacos El Cuñado (don’t miss the chicken tamales with all the toppings).
- After your food coma subsides, walk across the street to the Craft Beer Cellar to get an eclectic 6-pack of craft beers! There is a whole section just for Michigan. (If ya didn’t know, one of Grand Rapids’ nicknames is Beer City USA as there are over 80 breweries in the area!)
- Drive to Frederik Meijer Gardens & Sculpture Park and don’t forget to wear your walking shoes. Be prepared to be wowed by the 158 acres of trails, unusual sculptures and beautiful gardens. You’ll need at least two hours here, but three would be better.
- After a quick break wherever you are staying, head to Butcher’s Union for dinner. This restaurant has delicious dishes prepared with local ingredients and is in walking distance to many breweries!
- Before heading to bed, take in at least one or two brewery stops. I would recommend Founders Brewing Co and New Holland Brewing…but there are tons of options!
Grand Rapids is definitely a “cool city” and I would urge you to check out this Midwest locale for your next weekend adventure!
P.S. Don’t miss my post on how to spend the perfect day in Grand Haven, MI…only 30-40 minutes away from Grand Rapids!
Question For You:
Have you ever visited Grand Rapids? What was the best thing you ate, drank, or saw? Tell me in the comments below!